Museum of the Defense and Siege of Leningrad
The Museum of the Defense of Leningrad was among the very first international museums dedicated to WWII history. The Museum itself had already faced tragedy: established in 1944 only to be brutally destroyed in 1953, it was not recreated until 1989. It is now a city-owned charitable foundation, and the only museum entirely dedicated to the history of the battle of Leningrad and of the tragedy of the blockaded city.
First and foremost, the Museum is occupied with the search for and preservation of objects and collections related to the defense and siege of the city, as well as with exhibitions and publications of the collected items and educational programs related to the subject. The Museum constitutes a center of historical research; lectures, conferences, and publications form an essential part of its current mission.